"checking configuration" not working

hello - its been awhile since i posted a dumb question so i am entitled to one now.

i am receiving this message when i try to run ‘check configuration’:

Virtualmin is configured to setup DNS zones, but this system is not setup to use itself as a DNS server. Either add 127.0.0.1 to the list of DNS servers, or turn off the BIND feature on the module config page. It appears that DHCP is being used to dynamically configure your network interfaces, which can cause the DNS servers to be set based on settings provided by the DHCP server. Using a static IP address is strongly recommended with Virtualmin.

on my “Hostname and DNS Client” page i have the following settings:

Hostname : edwardsmark(dotchar)info Resolution order: 1) Hosts file, 2) DNS 3) Local hostname DNS Servers: 8.8.8.8 (i guessed at this one) Search Domains: interserver(dot)net edwardsmark(dot)info

when i tried to add ‘127.0.0.1’ to the ‘DNS Servers’ list, save works, but the configure step just reverts back to the ‘8.8.8.8’ setting.

any suggestions?

thank you very much.

Go to Webmin - Networking - Network configuration - Hostname and DNS client - Under DNS servers move all existing IP(s) one place down, add 127.0.0.1 in the first place and click Save. This is quick and immediate solution but it will revert back on next server restart. For more permanent solution search the forum because this question was posted many times.

thank you - what is confusing is that it keeps reverting back to 8.8.8.8 - i tried your suggestion (and even blanking it out completely) and it keeps reverting back to 8.8.8.8.

i even tried to edit ‘/etc/resolv.conf’ and change it there - that also reverts back to 8.8.8.8

there is no doubt i did something stupid during the initial setup since i was attempting to reference google’s dns numbers 8.8.8.8–8.8.4.4

i am now on a fishing expedition out of desperation to see if the value is in some other file:

find / -type f -exec grep --files-with-matches 8\.8\.8\.8 {} ; 2> /dev/null > results.txt

DHCP.

Your system has networking configured with DHCP, and it is replacing your manually configured resolv.conf on reboot. You need to edit the dhcpd configuration (/etc/dhcp/dhcpclient.conf on CentOS, not sure exactly where on Debian/Ubuntu) and add:

prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1

thanks joe - on centos7 i added the following lines to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 as per https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/dhclient-etcresolvconf-hooks/

PEERDNS=“yes” ## this was actually here already, added the two below:
DNS1=8.8.8.8
DNS2=127.0.0.1

that seemed to take care of it.