changing VMPro to a new VM

Hi,

I am in the process of moving my VMPro installation from one virtual machine to another on the same physical hardware. I previously asked about licensing for virtualised environments and was told that each vm would need a separate license. So what I have in mind is:

back up a domain from the VMPro instance and ftp it to the new VM GPL instance. Test the scripts. If they don’t work we have a showstopper. But if they do, then I can’t see why I can not migrate all the domains this way (about 20 of them) one by one then upgrade the GPL license to Pro and delete the old and now unused VM. See any problems with this?

Dave

Howdy,

I previously asked about licensing for virtualised environments and was told that each vm would need a separate license

Correct, each instance of Virtualmin Pro that runs would need a license. But –

back up a domain from the VMPro instance and ftp it to the new VM GPL instance. Test the scripts. If they don’t work we have a showstopper. But if they do, then I can’t see why I can not migrate all the domains this way (about 20 of them) one by one then upgrade the GPL license to Pro and delete the old and now unused VM.

Well, while that would work – Joe and Jamie are pretty understanding when it comes to licensing.

That is, since you’re doing a migration… if you were to setup Virtualmin Pro first on your new virtual machine, using the same license as on your existing server, that’s fine. As long as you’re just doing a migration, and plan on removing the old one after you’re done, I’d probably suggest just putting Virtualmin Pro on your new server and performing your tests with that.

-Eric

That is the nicest way for me but I have direct control over the dns settings of about half the sites, the rest I’ll have to get in touch with the owners and nag them to get off. During that period (of unknown length) there will be a licensing discrepancy. Anyway it won’t happen just yet so I’ll give a heads up first.

Thanks,

Dave