Changing root user password causes MariaDB root password to fail

There is. I can see it in my installs.

If you do generate random use the eye icon to view.

Try going to virtual-server.name - Edit Databases and set the password.

1 Like

As I was testing this again on a fresh snapshot, I realized the root account said the password was ā€œunix authenticationā€ and I donā€™t recall seeing that before. I must have changed the root password from a different dialog?! In any case, upon seeing this I changed my root password via Debian CLI and it worked fine. The login for webmin was properly using the changed password and there were no issues with MariaDB.

I have little time right now, so I canā€™t go back and figure out where I changed the password in the Webmin UI right now, but I will report back when/if I do. In the meantime, thereā€™s clearly some area of the UI that allows a password change for root that breaks MariaDB. Seems like a bug to me.

1 Like

Thanks for following up.

The only way we can identify for that to happen is what Jamie mentioned above (and we all spent some time on this, as I would consider it a serious misbehavior if such a thing did happen without being told to do so). I confirmed we are not configuring Webmin that way as part of Virtualmin install. So, weā€™re at a point where weā€™d need help finding how to reproduce it, as none of us can find it.

It hasnā€™t come up before, AFAIK, so unless we get more reports, Iā€™m gonna put it into the ā€œcanā€™t reproduceā€ bucket in my head and move one for now. If somebody else runs into it, weā€™ll try again.

Sounds good. I hate leaving stones unturned, so I will probably revisit, settle my own curiosity, and post my findings. Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.