Changing e-mail settings results in error

When I try to add an automated reply for a user and press ‘save’ the page loads an empty screen (source code empty) with ‘error’ in the pagetitle. Apart from that, nothing happens. It keeps loading like this (for over 24 hours if you don’t close the window).

Does this sound familiar? Or is there a way to manually change an out of office reply? (as a workaround).

Okay, does anybody know what mechanism Virtualmin uses for autoreply so I can create a workaround? Is it a native function of postfix? It’s starting to get ugly around here…

Howdy,

Yeah, I think you did the right thing in filing a bug request:

http://www.virtualmin.com/index.php?option=com_flyspray&do=details&task_id=5221

I’m not sure what might cause the above. I do believe that the reply is added within /etc/postfix/virtual, and you may be able to tweak it from within there, but hopefully Jamie can figure out why the problem you’re having is occurring in the first place.
-Eric

Well, actually I didn’t, but I’m glad to see that the ball is rolling. However, a workaround would be greatly appriciated!

I don’t think the actual out of office texts are located in /etc/postfix/virtual.

Heh, indeed, sometimes I think I respond prior to thinking; a bad habit :slight_smile:

Lemme fire up an auto-reply here and I’ll see how it does things.
-Eric

Okay, it looks like in $HOME for the user in question, will be an autoreply-USERNAME.txt file containing the text.

The autoreply is called from within /etc/aliases.
-Eric

Thanks! How is the auto reply called from /etc/aliases? Can you post the line from your config file?

Well, I’ve updated Webmin and it’s not solved. I think it’s a bug and will file it.

The autoreply files are at locations like /home/example/autoreply-example.txt .

The file under /var/virtualmin-autoreply is a hard link to the same file, created to get around permissions on the home directory that would prevent the Postfix ‘nobody’ or ‘daemon’ user from reading the autoreply file.

Okay, but where are aliasses placed? The aliasses Virtualmin creates arent under /etc/aliasses.

I guess you’re looking for /etc/postfix/virtual? Aliases for virtual mail is somewhat different than local aliases…you could have hundreds of users name “joe” in such a situation.

Bingo! That’s what I was looking for. Can I simply add a line there to get an autoreply? Like in the posted example?

Sure.

For this, "example" is the name of the user I added the autoreply to:

[code:1]example: \example,"|/etc/webmin/virtual-server/autoreply.pl /home/example/autoreply-example.txt example /var/virtualmin-autoreply/12327793358294-autoreply-example.txt"[/code:1]

The file in /var/virtualmin-autoreply/ appears to be identical to the one in /home/example, though they aren’t symlinks.

However, you shouldn’t be having a problem creating aliases – and I’m not sure that the bug in the tracker is the same one you’re having – I’d definitely recommend filing a new bug report so that Jamie can take a look.
-Eric

Sure.

For this, "example" is the name of the user I added the autoreply to:

[code:1]example: \example,"|/etc/webmin/virtual-server/autoreply.pl /home/example/autoreply-example.txt example /var/virtualmin-autoreply/12327793358294-autoreply-example.txt"[/code:1]

The file in /var/virtualmin-autoreply/ appears to be identical to the one in /home/example, though they aren’t symlinks.

However, you shouldn’t be having a problem creating aliases – and I’m not sure that the bug in the tracker is the same one you’re having – I’d definitely recommend filing a new bug report so that Jamie can take a look.
-Eric