change server time, dovecot dead

hi there

i realized just recently that our server time is off track by 30 minutes! don’t know how this could happen, but we do not have a sync with external ntp running, which is no good.

i tried to change this via:
->webmin-> hardware-> system time-> time server sync

but apparently this leads to problems with dovecot, i can not restart the service (on shell):
Restarting IMAP/POP3 mail server: dovecotLast died with error (see error log for more information): Time just moved backwards by 1801 seconds. This might cause a lot of problems, so I’ll just kill myself now. http://wiki.dovecot.org/TimeMovedBackwards

Can anyone give me some hints how i can switch time and even better implement ntp sync properly.

The server is hosting some 50 mail accounts and not so critical web-content, it’s easy take it offline for a couple of minutes, planed of course.

best
marc

Howdy,

Dovecot does indeed dislike the server time changing drastically… however, it should immediately be able to start back up after making such a change.

You may want to try starting that up again now, maybe NTP was still working.

If you use Webmin’s time server sync, and schedule that run once an hour – it should make more gradual changes, and wouldn’t affect Dovecot in that same way.

-Eric

will give this a try. as long as i can always switch back and restart it’s not that problematic.

will post results, if anyone has similar issues.

thanks eric