CentOS - Boot problem after recent kernel update (DO NOT INSTALL GRUB, SHIM AND KERNEL UPDATES FOR NOW)

i install Virtualmin package from scratch ./install.sh

For those who is reading this – I could not reproduce this by installing/re-installing Virtualmin package. The problem is completely unrelated and would have shown itself way sooner but rather popup on a day of a Boothole patch release.

It seems that the issue only affects those with bare metal machines using UEFI? Can someone confirm this?

Related articles:

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/5272311

1 Like

This makes sense. My Virtualmin VPS rebooted ok but my Windows/Linux laptop now has an empty EFI partition.

Oh, I am sorry to hear it. I hate fixing EFI partition. It’s such a pain.

Me too. Usually it happens after a Windows update once or twice a year. The repair is tedious with little room for error. Last couple times it didn’t work so I’ll probably start clean. Now would be a good time to buy that caddy and second disk I keep putting off.

2 Likes

I’m on a VPS, had no issues at all.
Sorry to hear real servers had issues with this. I hope you can find a workaround.

All is not rosy in the Virtual Machines world, either. Many VPS’s have been going down with gusto. If the host machines can’t boot, then neither can the virtual machines they host.

Fortunately, my provider (Turnkey Internet), and apparently your provider as well, are on the ball.

Richard

VPSs on AWS are upgrading and booting up normally :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.