Centos 7 - website there and not there

Hello

Installed with Centos 7 and everything fine except for:

Quotas are not enabled on the filesystem / which contains home directories under /home and email files under /home. Quota editing has been disabled.

but when a site is created, it only gives:

Index of / and directory list.

However, when going to:

Services/Preview Website

the site loads.

Does this give any clues? Nothing in Apache error log.

Also, when trying to install with Debian 8, installation stops at first stage and when using Debian 9, sites only show Apache/Debian default page.

Centos automatically picked up correct FQDN which had been used for Debian.

Many thanks

Is it the correct file list when you see the index of /? If it is not the same files as you expect, it sounds like a VirtualHost matching problem (discussed here as “The Wrong Site Shows Up”: https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/web/troubleshooting#toc-the-wrong-site-shows-up-V5JtxdKg )

If it is the right files, and you have an index.html or index.php in the public_html directory, then the directory index option is wrong for some reason.

Also, when trying to install with Debian 8, installation stops at first stage and when using Debian 9, sites only show Apache/Debian default page.

What error when it stops?

And, for the default page, I’ve heard reports of this, but dunno why it’s happening. It means, I think, that our attempt to disable the default website in Apache isn’t working.

If you run:

# a2dissite 000-default

Does the problem go away?

As for the quotas issue, XFS filesystem cannot have quotas turned on without a system reboot. So, they have to be enabled manually and then the system rebooted.

Hello Joe
Many thanks for all your help.
I ended up creating a new Linode and a new VPS with another company, neither of which worked. I changed to Centos and tried the Centos Web Panel and that didn’t work, either. I then tried the Vesta control panel and everything worked immediately, including one-click Let’s Encrypt https.
I have used Virtualmin for years and really like it and will go back to it once things are a bit settled, but I now cannot retrieve any information, as I have been deleting and redeploying Linodes like mad.
None of this is a criticism of you and the team. I appreciate everything you do.
Again, many thanks and best wishes.
John

Wow, that’s a whole lot of effort to correct a minor configuration issue! Can I advise to slow down next time and not do a bunch of re-installations? Just figure out what’s wrong and fix it. We’re around to help if you can’t figure out what the issue is. :wink:

I’m glad you’ve got things working.