Centos 5.2

Hello

Will the install script for the GPL version work ok on Centos 5.2?

Thanks

Will

Hi Gerald,

While I haven’t seen anyone hop on here and say “I’ve done the upgrade!”, someone asked that same question about CentOS 5.2 a few weeks back:

http://www.virtualmin.com/forums/virtualmin/rhel-5.2--centos-5.2.html

For which, Joe’s response was “In short, if anything breaks, it’s probably Red Hat’s fault, but I don’t expect anything to break.”

And I see the CentOS 5.2 software dir populated with the Virtualmin packages, so you should be good to go!
-Eric

if you already have a centos 5.0 or 5.1 then run
rpm -V centos-release | grep CentOS-Base
and when it has no output, you can do a "yum upgrade" (not yum update)

if you run an earlier centos, like 4 or even earlier then it would be wiser to do a new install. It is said that a "yum upgradeany" might work although paths might be different, there is always the centos wiki when in doubt

Thanks for the info.

rpm -V centos-release | grep CentOS-Base

results in

S.5…T c /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo

rmp -V verifies the packets, but what does the result tell me?

Gerald

Should the CentOS-Base.repo file on your existing CentOS-5 install be modified, you might need to pay more attention to the output from the 'yum upgrade' command

this is the page I checked with the information
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2008-June/014999.html

One thing that people should note:

I had to rerun this command after the upgrade to make IMAP work again, as there is a dovecot upgrade in the move from 5.1 to 5.2.

chmod 777 /var/lib/dovecot /var/lib/dovecot/index /var/lib/dovecot/control

/var/lib/dovecot doesn’t need 777. Only 755. The index and control are the ones that need 777. (And for security purposes, you probably do want 755 rather then 777.)

Yeah, I got the command to run off another website, and somebody backed it up here. I’ll fix it. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

CentOS upgrade went smooth for me. I haven’t seen any problems yet. Now if I could only get a hold of the Virtualmin PHP 5.2.6 upgrade I’d be a very happy camper. Any word on that Joe?

I upgraded to CentOs 5.2 from 5.1 using ‘yum upgrade’ with no problems aswell.

Cheers,

Paul

I posted on a separate thread when I ran yum update and got a version conflict with Perl. I ran yum upgrade today and got the same Perl version conflict. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

http://www.virtualmin.com/forums/virtualmin/perl-fails-to-update.html

thank you

Hey Will,

Yeah, CentOS/RHEL 5.2 is just considered the second update to CentOS/RHEL 5 – and 5 is supported by the GPL installer and has packages in the GPL repository:

http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/centos/5.2/

So the install should go well on your 5.2 system!
-Eric

It will install fine. I’m running it (the GPL version) on CentOS 5.2.

would loading the server gui cause any problems with VM?

Thanks

Will

Are you asking if it will work in a virtualized environment (i.e. VMware, Xen, etc)? Or are you asking if you can load something like Gnome/KDE?

On a virtualized server (VPS) there are no issues. I’m running it on a Linode VPS.

Sorry I was meaning something like Gnome/KDE, when I said VM I meant virtualmin and not VMware

Thannks

Will

I would advise against that. You will defeat the purpose of using a build like CentOS.

Virtualmin & Webmin will give you most of what you need to manage your server via a web browser.

ok thaks no gui it is then, one last thing would it make a difference to virtualmin if I use Centos 5.2 64bit?

Thanks

Will

one last thing would it make a difference to virtualmin if I use Centos 5.2 64bit?

It’ll make everything run (slightly) slower and require more memory (20%-50%). :wink:

Unless you need large memory addressing, you probably don’t want the 64 bit build. I’m not sure where “large memory” actually becomes a concern…certainly not less than 2GB, and probably not less than 3GB. So, if you have a 4 or 8GB box, 64 bit probably starts to look more attractive.

And Gnome or KDE has no impact on Virtualmin or the services it manages. I can’t think of any reason you would actually want a window manager or desktop environment on a server, however, as they take up a lot of memory and CPU resources, and open up several potential security concerns.

But, I run Virtualmin and Gnome on my desktop machine without any trouble. It’s not that you can’t…it’s just that you probably don’t want to.