Catch All Alias is catching valid addresses - revisited

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian 5.10.162-1
Webmin version 2.013
Virtualmin version 7.5
Related packages Postfix

My issue is identical to that which the user posted about in this thread:
https://forum.virtualmin.com/t/catch-all-alias-is-catching-valid-addresses/34206

That user never responded, but I’m happy to provide the requested details (/etc/postfix/virtual)

jim@subdomain.domain.com   jim
subdomain.domain.com  subdomain.domain.com
webmaster@subdomain.domain.com        jim@subdomain.domain.com
abuse@subdomain.domain.com    jim@subdomain.domain.com
hostmaster@subdomain.domain.com       jim@subdomain.domain.com
postmaster@subdomain.domain.com       jim@subdomain.domain.com
charlie@subdomain.domain.com        charlie\@subdomain.domain.com
admin@subdomain.domain.com    admin\@subdomain.domain.com
sales@subdomain.domain.com    sales\@subdomain.domain.com
@subdomain.domain.com sales\@subdomain.domain.com

So the issue here is that “admin@subdomain.domain.com” is being sent to the catch-all, which is “sales@subdomain.domain.com”.

I think the escape character " \ " is necessary for Roundcube.

Thanks

It seems like this has nothing to do with misconfiguration and that something is seriously broken because of the need for escape characters in the etc/postfix/virtual file:

See this thread:
Postfix ‘reject_sender_login_mismatch’ rule not usable because of escaped @ characters in /etc/postfix/virtual

I can “fix” the issue if I remove the escape character and play around with the main.cf a little, but then I either get a relay denial if my domain is absent from “mydestination” in main.cf, or a user unknown bounce if it’s present.

In my opinion, Postfix is quite frankly lousy and Virtualmin should adopt something else. I don’t have this issue at all with whatever DirectAdmin or cPanel use for aliases (or a catch-all account, in this case)…

This is not a complaint, but merely an observation.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.