Cant receive email | nameserver misconfiguration?

Operating system: Debian
OS version: 9

Hi friends.

I have this issue. I have migrated from a cpanel based server to my new vps virtualmin . My domain DNS Registrar is GoDaddy for most of the aprox 10 domains I have.

At the Cpanel based hosting I was using webmail and now I want to use usermin here and provide access to all current users throught webmail domain1 com , webmail domain2 com and so on …

I have sent full backup of cpanel accounts to vps using SCP and have correclty performed cpanel accounts importation using migrate server feature from virtualmin.

I want my vps to be my nameserver as well so that i just point each domain from godaddy registrar to ns1 domain1 com and ns2 domain1 com and then when I enter to webmail domain1 com all should work just fine.

The issue is that when I try to perform that, I am not sure what value should go in each SOA record for each master zone and I don’t know which value should go for NS record. I followed another tutorial and said I should create two A records named like ns1 and ns2 respectively and each should point to same ip .

But I have around 10 master zones ( one for each domain) . Is that correct ? Or should I have like a main name server and put that value in every SOA record and NS record for each domain and then point every domain at registrar to that main name server domain ?

I am not sure of what to do at this step because currently I do open websites ok and I do send email correctly but I can’t receive email properly.

Users that send email to my inbox get this message:

This is the mail system at host crecemos.online.

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It’s attached below.

So current domain is marketplaza.pe and registrar is godaddy and it is now pointing to ns1 marketplaza.pe and ns2 marketplaza.pe

Current dns records are the following:

emphasized text

@Renzo_castillo,

I can assist you in resolving your email issue over a screen sharing session. Drop me a line if you’d like to discuss the opportunity.

Best Regards,
Peter Knowles | TPN Solutions
pknowles@tpnsolutions.com | 604-782-9342 (WhatsApp / Signal)

1 Like

You could compare against this fully functional example.

This is what I do at Godaddy (or the domain registrar I use) before I install Virtualmin:

1. create vps.serverdomain.tld and point it to the IP address of the Virtualmin server
  2. create serverdomain.tld + www.serverdomain.tld and point it to the IP address of the Virtualmin server
  3. create ns1.serverdomain.tld and point it to the IP address of the Virtualmin server
  4. create ns2.serverdomain.tld and point it to the IP address of the Virtualmin server
  5. optionally create admin.serverdomain.tld, ftp.serverdomain.tld, mail.serverdomain.tld and point it to the IP address of the Virtualmin server

vps.serverdomain.tld is the hostname.

Then, after installing Virtualmin, at the post-installation Wizard, I enter ns1.serverdomain.tld and ns2.serverdomain.tld for the name servers.

All other options in the post-install wizard can be as per your preferences.

After I exit the post-install wizard, for all my clientdomain.tld, I point them to ns1,serverdomain.tld and ns2.serverdomain.tld and create a virtual server with everything set to default for each of the domains I want to host. That is all I have to do.

OMG! I don’t believe I have ever had to fiddle with those, when I follow the steps I have outlined above to install Virtualmin. I point the client’s domain to Virtualmin’s DNS - then I leave SOA and stuff to Virtualmin - that’s what it is there for, right?

@calport thank you very much for this information given. Well , about SOA , thats what I also think but , I think I did something wrong at postinstallation wizard and now all of my server have SOA like primarydomain1.ltd. root.primarydomain1.ltd. , but then I change my mind (after postnstallation) and I decided to switch hostnam to primarydomain2.ltd , but all dns for clients domain have now this SOA record with that old primarydomain.

So this one is an example of client dns records configuration ( all of rest are just like this one). All of them master zones.

So first domain primary domain was quaira.com which was also the hostname. Then I decided to switch it crecemos.online .

Eventhough i have new records I am receiving this message when i send an email to my clients domain ( marketplaza.pe)

This is the mail system at host crecemos.online.

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It’s attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<":blackhole:"@quaira.com> (expanded from <marketplaza@marketplaza.pe>): User
unknown in virtual alias table

@Renzo_castillo,

Your server IS receiving the message, but Postfix cannot find the mailbox for “:blackhole:@quaira.com”.

It looks like something is misconfigured with the domain, mailbox, or Postfix NOT the DNS records.

Best Regards,
Peter Knowles | TPN Solutions

And quaira dot com is pointing to Zoho’s DNS… that would explain the “User unknown in virtual alias table”

@Renzo_castillo I think the ad-hoc changes that you have made have probably messed up your system in ways we are unable to fathom. @tpnsolutions offers a free initial consultation, perhaps you should take him up on it.

Or you could backup your 10 virtual servers, install Virtualmin the way I have described, and restore the 10 virtual servers. You could do this yourself in a couple of hours max and have a squeaky clean, new system which will work flawlessly for many years.

1 Like

Thanks calport your config has helped me to solve dmarc and nameservers properly.

I think it was all messed up. I am not sure if dns propagation should also affect that.

Virtualmin shows me this when I want to re run check configuration

Ok so now config seems to be better.

Now i am getting that i need to add 127.0.0.1 in order to work as a dns server as well

Well done @Renzo_castillo, you are almost there. Add 127.0.0.1 to DNS Server list in Hostname and DNS Client, accessed via Webmin -> Networking -> Network Configuration

Also see Virtualmin is configured to setup DNS zones, but this system is not setup to use itself as a DNS server. | Virtualmin

1 Like

Thank you @calport it actually worked properly. Now I have no issues reported by virtualmin configuration.

I have ran proper tests with MX tools for marketplaza.pe and it runs well Network Tools: DNS,IP,Email

However, when I try to log into usermin through webmail.marketplaza.pe then I end up with only the dashboard usermin but no content. I have checked if something is going on inside and when I use browser inspection tools I go to network tab and console log and it shows a no content response which indeed is what is happening.

I am not quite sure why. So now email dns config is good but usermin dashboard is not recovering emails at all. :confused:

Could this be related to a usermin configuration at webmin dashboard? I remember I changed the value for recovering emails from mail dir and then I couldn’t find any email at sent emails folder. So I switch it back to recovering emails to default remote imap option.

But after all of this now when I log in I end up with no content

THANK YOU @tpnsolutions great service! It was Postfix related. Now all good and sending and receiving emails :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.