Can't login to email sever Error

Unable to connect to POP server mail.domain.com.
Error sending username:-ERR Plaintext
authentication disallowed on non-seure connections.

Please enter the POP password for user on host
mail.domain.com.

Im running ubuntu8.0.4 clean install no errors at install.

Can send mail to gmail account and there is mail in mail folder

Can’t login with username password how do secure plaintext

I could have sworn this had been fixed ages ago in our installer. Did you install using install.sh?

Anyway, the problem is that dovecot on Debian/Ubuntu is configured to disallow plain text logins (which is the only kind that can work with standard users via PAM!). Edit /etc/dovecot.conf and change disable_plaintext_auth to "no". Save it, and restart dovecot. This problem will go away.

I installed with install.sh on Ubuntu 8.04.2 and I had the exact same problem.

If I can’t find a dovecot file except in webmin or in logwatch folders, is that bad news if I have the same problem? (Ubuntu 8.04 too on the server, not installed via install.sh as there were sites on the server already)

thanks

Yeah, you should see a config file in /etc/dovecot. If not – is Dovecot installed at all?

If you run:

dpkg -l ‘dovecot*’

What shows up?

-Eric

true, not installed.

No packages found matching dovecot*.

Using Postfix, but having exactly the same problem as described above…

(will try googling more)

Did you install Virtualmin using the install.sh script? As that would install Dovecot for you.

However, if you’re having problems logging into the POP server, and Dovecot (the POP server) isn’t installed, that could definitely be related :slight_smile:

-Eric

dpkg -l ‘dovecot*’
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
++±=============================-=============================-==========================================================================
un dovecot (no description available)
ii dovecot-common 1:1.1.4-0ubuntu1.3 secure mail server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes

ok, what do i do next? and thanks for your time by the way!

You should just be able to run:

apt-get install dovecot

And, assuming there isn’t another POP server running that would cause a conflict of some kind, you should be in good shape.

-Eric