Can't log into FTP

I am using Virtualmin on CentOS 6.2. A user can’t log in via ftp. It simply says authentication failed. I have set the password manually, and tried to log in but it always says authentication failed. I did some googling, all I could find is a mention of shells. The shell is listed in /etc/shells and I can log in via SSH with the credentials. For some reason proftpd is not working.

I turned up error reporting and only got an incorrect password message. The password is not incorrect.

From /var/log/proftp/error.log
Aug 28 23:15:19 melqart.secusrvr.com proftpd[25913] 27.50.90.194 220.245.128.9[220.245.128.9]): USER hiddenwiki (Login failed): Incorrect password.

I can’t work this out it is driving me crazy, very little is reported in the log. Does anyone experienced with proftpd know what to do?

Howdy,

Hmm, is it just this one user you’re having problems with? Can you login via FTP as other users?

-Eric

Seems to be with all users.

Hmm, we’ve occasionally seen odd issues like that when using ProFTPd from an alternate repo… what’s the output of this command:

rpm -qa | grep proftp

[root@melqart ~]# rpm -qa | grep proftpd
proftpd-1.3.4a-1.el6.rf.x86_64

Yeah, there we go… it looks like you’re using the ProFTPd package from the RPMForge repository.

I’d recommend disabling third party repositories – enabling them only to pull in packages you need.

And then, I’d suggest installing the ProFTPd package from the Virtualmin repository in place of the one you have there.

-Eric

Can you give me the commands to efficiently do that?

I also am unable to log into FTP since I added a repo via:
rpm -Uhv http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/i386/rpmforge/RPMS/rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm

I needed to install mytop so that I could troubleshoot a mysql query.

This apparently allowed my proftpd to upgrade to version:
proftpd-1.3.4a-1.el5.rf.x86_64

How would I remove that repo and reinstall the proper version of virtualmin proftpd?

Yeah how do I get it to ignore repoforge for certain packages and use VirtualMin? I assume Yum supports this.

My recommendation is to only use third party repos to pull in packages that you need… you can define those packages using the “includepkgs” parameter.

So, edit the .repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d, and set the includespkgs parameter to list only the packages that you want to pull in from that repository.

-Eric

Well this seems an old thread but for me this was a new problem on a fresh install on a new server. I don’t know if this was right to do as I’m a newbie to server admin and Virtualmin. After reading the above none worked for me but I found a page show how to configure Proftp to use sftp and that led me to do this changes that work. I would be grateful if some would point out if this will give any issues later.

I edited to the conf file as follows;

ServerName “yourDomainOrIPAddress”

Deleted the module load - everything down from - LoadModule mod_sftp.c