cant get to the vm/wm log on page

Right I am now all sorted, hooray :slight_smile:

I am going to list what steps I took to fix my problem and at the same time upgraded to the Pro version.

I would also like to take a moment to thank the forum members that have helped with this problem and a big big thank you to Joe and the VM team.

Virtulamin is an awesome product and I have been converted from Plesk and am looking forward to moving all of our sites to a VM platform!

I think I have flaky hardware that was causing my problems, I meed to buy a new server and wanted to buy the Pro version of VM, but at this moment in time could not afford eitherā€¦ :frowning:

I did not want to wipe my current box and rebuild as if my backups did not work I would of lost my data and settings. As I could still get into VM/WM (it was just the acctual sites apache/php that had the problem) I used the virtulamin backup tool to back up my sites and settings. Just in case I also backed up the SQL databases and home folders.

I then subscribed to the Amazon EC2 service and created a VM Pro box, adjusted the DNS settings as needed and then restored my backups into it. It all worked great with out a hicup :)Did not even have to use the manual backups of MySQL or the home folders.

So all in all I went from a flaky local hardware running VM gpl to runninig on the amazon cloud with VM pro in under an hour. How awesome is that, I was over the moon :slight_smile:

I am going to wait and see what my first months bill from Amazon is like before I decide to buy new hardware and VM Pro and run it locally. If Amazon is cost effective for me I might just leave it in the cloud.

VIRTUALMIN ROCKS!!!

Just one more quick suggestion for Joe, the instructions to create a VM pro AMI are assuming you are using a Linux based workstation, they are slightly different if you are using a Windows client to create the Amazon AMI. Might be worth adding the Windows commands to your site as well. Just a thoughtā€¦

reagrds

Will

Just one more quick suggestion for Joe, the instructions to create a VM pro AMI are assuming you are using a Linux based workstation, they are slightly different if you are using a Windows client to create the Amazon AMI. Might be worth adding the Windows commands to your site as well. Just a thought.

Excellent ideaā€¦but I donā€™t have a Windows box, so I donā€™t know what the Windows steps ought to be. My lappy dual boots, or used to, but Windows has been broken for about a year. Iā€™ll be getting a new lappy sometime soon, so Iā€™ll hopefully have Windows again soon. If anyone wants to add some Windows notes to the docs, thatā€™d be cool, too. (all of our documentation is in a wiki, so anybody with an account here can edit it) :wink: