cant create servers on new install

i just upgraded my VPS and reinstalled the OS - centos 5.2
Previous install i had to do manually and was a bit messy, so this time I could use the GPL

the installation seemed to go flawless. However after wanting to create a server, it couldn’t. It first moaned about webalizer, so i switchted it off. Then it moaned about Logrotate not having the correct version. So I switched that off too.

Error logs shows:

Error: The Logrotate program appears to be version , but Virtualmin requires version 3.6 or above in order to support multiple log files in the same section. Error: <tt></tt>
However: Package logrotate - 3.7.4-8.i386 is already installed.

I also noticed an error in the install log:

Configuring and enabling BIND

error: %post(virtualmin-base-1.0-61.rh.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

Installing: clamav-server-sysv ####################### [34/34]

Installed: virtualmin-base.noarch 0:1.0-61.rh

No errors about webalizer though.
The system says:

The status of your system is being checked to ensure that all enabled features are available, that the mail server is properly configured, and that quotas are active ..
  BIND DNS server is installed, and the system is configured to use it.

  Mail server Postfix is installed and configured.

  Apache is installed.

  Webalizer is installed.

  Apache is configured to host SSL websites.

  Plugin Protected web directories is installed OK.

  Using network interface venet0:0 for virtual IPs.

  Default IP address for virtual servers is

  Both user and group quotas are enabled for home and email directories.

  All commands needed to create and restore backups are installed.

… your system is ready for use by Virtualmin.

so create a server:

Creating administration group .. .. done

Creating administration user
… done

Failed to create virtual server :

Webmin error log:
Error: <tt></tt>

Clues anyone?

Hey Ronald,

Yeah, those definitely aren’t normal things! :slight_smile:

I’d actually suggest filing a bug report, and attaching your virtualmin-install.log file (even though it’s GPL, I’m sure they’ll want to figure out what’s going on there).

The one other thing I’m curious about, how much memory is your VPS setup with? Occasionally, some really odd things occur in some VPS’s due to low memory situations (which are made worse if no swap is available).

Just some thoughts!

hey Eric
The VPS has 256MB. Not that great I know but should be doable.
I had an old computer at home once for testing with 256mb - it had swap though.

The system is running fine otherwise.
I dont really need servers on them as it’s a slave dns server, but still was wondering were the errors came from.

I’ll file a bug.


I might recommend poking around in your logs to make sure that the “OOM Killer” hasn’t been killing any processes (especially around the time of your installation).

256MB of RAM is on the borderline of being low memory, but without swap, if there were a spike in how much RAM were needed at some point, something odd could have happened.

Yeah, you’ll want to hit up the “Virtualmin On Low Memory Systems” guide. I’m guessing you’re bumping up against memory limits.

The next version of Webmin and Virtualmin dramatically reduces memory usage for those processes (Jamie re-architected the module system in a major way to allow a lot more sharing across modules and processes), particularly when library pre-caching is enabled…but the rest of the stack remains pretty big.

everything is running as expected otherwise. Got core disabled etc. the system uses about 125MB atm. Most services are off.
I can’t do much while installing I assume? So Im looking forward to the next release.

If have read all the logs and only the above errors came up. I do not need to run a website on that VPS (all though I could in the /var/www/html), but still…curiosity

I can't do much while installing I assume?

Actually during installation, it’s a different set of problems (though we probably should start with fewer services running by default). The majority of memory usage is from apt-get or yum (which can grow astonishingly when figuring out large dependency chains). I haven’t figured out how to really deal with that, as the alternative is to install packages one at a time, in order of dependency; making me manage dependencies while writing the script rather than letting the package manager handle it at installation time. I don’t like doing the job of software. I like to think I’m smarter than that. :wink:

But, something does need to happen to the install script to make it less memory hungry. VPS systems without swap can run into problems…probably not usually when there’s 256MB, but if there’s any less, it’s pretty likely.