can't access virtualmin from server

Hi everyone

I have installed virtualmin and everything seams to work perfectly. except 1 thing.

I’m running Ubuntu Desktop Version and if i’m trying to access virtualmin from that pc. admin.mydomain.com it can’t display webpage. but if i take up my laptop there are no problems to acces virtualmin. and all the other domains i have added are working just fine when i access from ubuntu. just not when i access virtualmin from the actually server.

I hope any of this give any meaning :slight_smile: my english are terible.

Let’s see… Which URLs exactly are you using to connect to VMin, both from the remote PC and the server itself? What exactly is the error message when you try it locally? What happens when you type telnet yourdomain.com 10000? Does it say “connected” or “connection refused”?

Also, did I get that right? You’re running the desktop version of Ubuntu on your Virtualmin server? May I ask why?

I Use the Desktop Version because i wanted to be able to use a Gnome desktop on the server.

I connect from this address https://tfdata.dk:10000 from the server and get something with can’t find hostname. i have no problem when i use the ip adress.

From my laptop i can use. http://admin.tfdata.dk or https://tfdata.dk:10000 and local ip address.

when i telnet from the server to tfdata.dk it say can’t find hostname tfdata.dk

if i telnet from laptop it say connected.

Useful commands to investigate the problems:

hostname
hostname -f
ifconfig eth0
cat /etc/resolv.conf
dig tfdata.dk
dig tfdata.dk ns

Also, System Settings / Re-Check Configuration can help discover problems.

Which nameserver is authoritative for “tfdata.dk”? Is it the VMin server? If so, is the VMin server configured to use itself as nameserver? What is the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) of the server (use hostname -f to find out)?

Hint: If you wish to, you can also install X and Gnome on Ubuntu Server. What method did you use to install VMin? It is recommended to use the auto-install script on a freshly installed Ubuntu (no server software like BIND or Apache present yet).

May I also ask what exactly you need the GUI for on a server system? It’s a little unusual, especially using a desktop distro for that. :slight_smile: You should also consider that running an X on a server that is open to the Internet is a potential security risk.

Yeah i know its a little strange to run Ubuntu Desktop as a server. I basicly use the GUI so i can search the web for help under the way.

hostname = webserver.tfdata.dk
hostname -f = webserver.tfdata.dk

My config files looks like this.

vi /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

vi /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost 192.168.1.10 webserver.tfdata.dk webserver

The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Hmm… Unfortunately you did not answer most of my questions of my two previous posts. :slight_smile: Can you please check those again and answer them?

According to dig, the domain tfdata.dk resolves to 92.246…24.153, and the responsible name servers are ns1.gratisdns.dk to ns5.gratisdns.dk. It would seem you’re operating your server behind a NAT router.

We need the contents of your /etc/resolv.conf, and please perform the dig commands I posted.