Cannot Install wordpress Proxy_fcgi:error

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version CentOS 8.5.2111
Virtualmin version 6.17

I have exact issue in the link when im trying to install wordpress on new virtual host in virtualmin.

Proxy_fcgi:error?

Need help to fix this, seems no one has reply to the previous question.

Thank you!

What’s your PHP script option set to? Virtualmin / The Virtual Server in Question / Server Configuration / PHP Options

Hi There,

Thanks for replying and my PHP option is set like below.

And there’s your problem. You have no Fast CGI enabled. That’s why you’re getting the ‘fcgi’ error.

That shouldn’t be a problem thought as Wordpress doesn’t require fcgi at all in order to run. Does the installer stop at that point and exit? Are you able to visit the install page at all?

Edit to add: I just noticed you’re on php 7.2. You’re going to need to upgrade to 7.4 at least.

PHP-FPM also uses an fcgi connection. That’s not the problem (though I don’t know what the problem is).

CentOS/Alma/Rocky 8 do not have mod_fcgid+suexec support because we no longer build a custom Apache version for those distros (fcgi is a protocol, fcgid is an implementation of the protocol, but so is PHP-FPM and many others). The only PHP execution mode is PHP-FPM.

And, PHP 7.2 is the version provided by the OS. No upgrade is needed or recommended.

Just going by Wordpress that requires 7.4 minimum. I get very confused over OS’s that use old, outdated software numbers that nobody else uses anymore.

WordPress works fine with 7.2. They recommend 7.4 because it’s the current maintained 7.x version from the PHP devs. Virtualmin.com runs WordPress on the stock Rocky/Alma PHP version (7.2.x).

Once again, I’ll point out that it is a feature not a bug that some distros support the same version of every package throughout the life of the distro. When you pick RHEL/Rocky/Alma you can be extremely confident that stuff you install today will still work in five years even through hundreds of package updates. Yes, the packages become old by the time the distro reaches EOL, but stability is what you get in return.

And, every few years, if you need newer versions, you can just switch to the next version of the distro.

Of course, the CentOS folks decided to drop all that and instead become more like Debian or Fedora and go to the Stream model, where there is no real stability guarantee from one day to the next. Package updates can break your apps at any time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.