cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file..

Hi,

After a lot of searching in forums and documentation I finally got SASL authentication working with Postfix.

Somehow my configuration was not working on Debian 5 Lenny. The main error was:

Jun 6 14:52:18 mydomain postfix/smtpd[14201]: connect from unknown[xyz.xyz.xyz.xyz]
Jun 6 14:52:21 mydomain postfix/smtpd[14201]: warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory
Jun 6 14:52:21 mydomain postfix/smtpd[14201]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed
Jun 6 14:52:21 mydomain postfix/smtpd[14201]: warning: unknown[xyz.xyz.xyz.xyz]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed: generic failure

So, why wasn’t Postfix able to find saslauthd?

The file /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf needed to be modified with the last line added, like this:

[code:1]pwcheck_method: saslauthd
mech_list: plain login
saslauthd_path: /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd/mux[/code:1]
After restarting Postfix, SASL authentication is working now.

Edit:
Actually the above was not the right solution after all. There is no need to change smtpd.conf. I had missed some configuration options when I changed the port that smtpd was listening on from 25 to 10025 in /etc/postfix/master.cf. (The change was necessary because my DSL provider started blocking port 25 this year.)

After correcting the line to:
10025 inet n - - - - smtpd -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
… the error disappeared and authentication worked as intended.

Christian<br><br>Post edited by: chriswayg, at: 2009/06/06 09:37

Awesome. Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you got it straightened out.

See this link!!

http://www.vivaolinux.com.br/dica/Smtp-autenticado-erro-SASL/

Also check that saslauthd is up, especially if you’ve got ConfigServer Security & Firewall installed and have run and applied their security checks, one of them tells you to turn off saslauthd (which I did), this service should be up in my case, funnily enough I have a VPS with the same configuration as my dedicated server which has saslauthd turned off and I haven’t faced the problem on it, weird.

Please comment if you have any suggestions…