Cannot Access Server After Creating Virtualmin Server

Hi everyone,

I have been messing around with Virtualmin over the last couple of day, both on a CentOS 6.5 and 7 system. However, I have come across the following problem.

When I create a Virtualmin server, it does not show up when I list the servers directly after creating it. And then the next time I load the page, I am unable to access the Virtualmin/Webmin control panel anymore. I simply get a “This webpage is not available” error. This has happened twice in a row now on separate servers.

I think it may have something to do with port/permissions, but I’m not sure. I can view httpd.conf and see the info added for the new Virtualmin server that I had just created.

Any help would be much appreciated. I want to get this up and working!

Howdy,

Hmm, that’s an unusual sounding issue! Are you perhaps low on resources? We’ve occasionally seem systems that are low on resources run into issues like that, as when there isn’t enough RAM the kernel will begin killing off processes.

Is this a VPS, or a dedicated server? If it’s a VPS, what kind of VPS is it?

And what is the output of this command:

free -m

You can restart Webmin/Virtualmin using this command – can you see if running this gets your system back online:

/etc/init.d/webmin restart

Hi,

I used /etc/init.d/webmin restart to restart Webmin and that worked. It is back up and running.

This is running on a 1GB Rackspace Cloud Server, which should be enough. Right now, when Virtualmin is running, there is 262MB of free RAM.

However, I am having problems with the ClamAV and mailman daemon. See the attached image.

Any ideas?

I ended up turning off virus scanning and mailman. Now I can view the Virtualmin server that I had configured.

Is it okay that I have turned those plugins off?

Mailman is a mailing list manager. If you don’t need mailing lists, you don’t need the service.

Virus scanning is for your benefit, not Virtualmin’s. If you don’t need it (you use Linux or already have virus and malware scanning on your client, or you don’t use your email heavily on the Virtualmin server), there’s not need to run the server.