Can you force new users to change their passwords?

Is it possible to require new users to change their passwords on their first login?

Howdy,

I think you can accomplish that by going into Webmin -> Webmin -> Webmin Users -> Password Restrictions – and then set "Days before password must be changed" to something like "0".

Here’s the problem there though –

Not all SSH/FTP clients handle password changes, and I don’t believe any email client can remotely set the password when using standard IMAP or POP.

So in some many cases, the user is going to have to log into either Virtualmin or Usermin to actually change the password.

If you’re okay with those gotchas, then go for it! :slight_smile:
-Eric

I think you can accomplish that by going into Webmin -> Webmin -> Webmin Users -> Password Restrictions -- and then set "Days before password must be changed" to something like "0".

I believe that would require changing the password every time they login. :wink:

I believe that would require changing the password every time they login. ;-)

Well, goodness, that’s undesirable :slight_smile:

I’m under the impression that you can force a user to change their password upon the next login by running “chage -d 0 USERNAME” from the command line.

But, I haven’t tested that, nor do I know how to accomplish that within Webmin :slight_smile:
-Eric

Hehehe…I think what we’ve discovered here is that nobody really knows how to accomplish this, me least of all. :wink:

Thanks guys… As I’m coming up to speed with virtualmin, its nice to know I can ask some questions that don’t have RTFM answers…

We’re always happy to provide misleading and incorrect answers. :wink:

There is an option Force change at next login in webmin users

however my users report that they are not allowed lol…