Can i install mysql and mongodb in Virtualmin?

Hello team, I would like to ask if someone had any experience in installing both mysql and mongodb in one server instance were my current Virtualmin running on?

If yes, could you give me head start what are the challenges in a production server you have encountered so far.

TA

It’s possible-ish. I don’t really recommend it, as it’s likely to be very confusing, and there’s no way I can imagine that you really need both (they’re so close to identical and compatible for almost everything that it would be silly to have both).

Virtualmin won’t support both directly, but in Webmin you can clone the MySQL module and configure one to interact with MySQL and the other to interact with Mariadb. But, again, this is a mess you don’t want to take on. Just pick the one that does what you need, and stick with it. Even better if you just use the OS default package that gets installed when you install Virtualmin (but changing to a different one is easy).

If you do go with both, you’ll probably need to manage one of them outside of Virtualmin (in the Webmin UI) or come up with some custom pre/post scripts. (Though it’s easy to have one of MySQL or Mariadb and PostgreSQL.)

1 Like

Everything Joe said about MySQL and MariaDB is true. There is absolutely no reason to have both.

I would like to point out though, that MongoDB is not the same and even pretty much different. I think it will work just fine in combination with MySQL. However, we cannot provide you the guide of how to set it up. Start from Googling it, I bet there are multiple examples of how it could be done.

2 Likes

lol, I shouldn’t be responding to the forum after midnight. How did I read mongodb as mariadb?

But, then again, I can’t figure out why you’d even ask that? They’re completely different, and there’s no way they could possibly conflict. (Virtualmin doesn’t support mongodb in any meaningful way, but it won’t cause trouble with MySQL or Mariadb.)

2 Likes

Hello Joe and Ilia,

Thanks for the input. I appreciated the thoughts on this thread. Yes, will follow your advice, and I think i will use a separat instance for MongoDB or use MongoDB Atlast service instead on my Mern stack app.

TA

You can run Mongo on a Virtualmin server, no problem. I’ve done it. It’s not going to conflict with anything in Virtualmin. Virtualmin just isn’t gonna manage it. No reason to put it on another instance, unless you just want to (for whatever reason). But, I want to be clear I am not in any way saying you can’t run mongodb on a Virtualmin system…you absolutely can.

1 Like