broken YUM after removal of nss-softokn-freebl [SOLVED]

Centos 6.5 64bit

After some recent updates discovered that package nss-softokn-freebl is always showing for “to be updated”. When trying to install it throws an error.
So I have removed it via console rpm command.
Now it has broken Yum and wont install anything (File /usr/lib64/libfreebl3.so is missing). This .so file is part of nss-softokn-freebl-3.14.3-3.el6_4.x86_64 and nss-softokn-freebl-3.14.3-3.el6_4.i686 packages.

yum update
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

libfreebl3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It’s possible that the above module doesn’t match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.6.6 (r266:84292, Nov 22 2013, 12:16:22)
[GCC 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-4)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/Faq

Yum on “yum update” throws messages like this (variables are not getting recognised?):

yum update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities, refresh-packagekit
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
http://SERIALNUMBER:LICENSEKEY@software.virtualmin.com/gpl/rhel/%24releasever/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - “The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found”
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: virtualmin. Please verify its path and try again

Python is 2.6.6 version and it seems to be working.
How do i fix it to the way it was?
Thanks a lot

PS. just noticed it also done something to the mail over this! Mail does not work anymore - probably mail has some dependancies to this package! Please help to restore it?

Howdy,

You could always try manually downloading the .rpm file for that package onto your server, and then installing it using RPM. You can install that by using a command such as the following:

rpm -Uvh filename.rpm

after reboot I can’t even login
this shared library is missing and this is what I get after reboot:

login name: after typing the name in it shows this:
/bin/login error while loading shared libraries libfreebl3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is it finished now? Or is there a way to restore it?
I’m pretty sure I have this file in the system in a different location and could try and copy it, just don’t know how to get to the system ;(

Howdy,

You could boot your system into single user mode, which doesn’t require a login, and then install the package you’re missing using the steps I mentioned above.

There’s instructions on booting into single user mode here:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-rescuemode-booting-single.html

-Eric

WOW! fantastic
I have managed to boot up in single mode, copy that file (libfreebl3.so) from /usr/lib64/xulrunner-10 in to
/usr/lib64 and now have managed to get to the system!
Thanks andreychek!