Bounces reported as spam?? + postfix config questions

I’m a little confused, can someone point me to a solution in terms of settings of postfix or whatever to fix this problem?

What I’m starting to feel here is that I got the pro version so I wouldn’t have to go learn all I can learn about email server setup, I’d love to but I don’t have time, I need a functioning server up an running before the time it would take me to learn all about postfix ways, spamassassin setting and all the newest solution to the SPAM plague. I thought virtualmin would set up a ready to go server with appropriate settings for virtual hosting of many domains with many email accounts each.

First day I found that sasl wouldn’t start by default on debian and it took me a few hours of googling to get that one straigh (while customers are calling me)

Now I’m getting spacop to report the server bounces as SPAM, I’m confused on that one, am I supposed not to send out bounces? that would make my phone ring! here is a link to their “answer” to the problem.
http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html
it mentions along with telling me I should avoid using autoresponders and bounces (Try convincing my customers of that one) using “SPF and/or Domain Keys” I know nothing about either and really don’t have time to learn all about it… What is everyone else doing about this?

My next worry/question is on scalability, looking at the postfix configuration files it doesn’t seem like there is much of a configuration to keep the server performing once I move more customers on the server, it looks a lot like a default debian install. I tried that with my previous server and virtualmin GPL, once I got enough email users on it it was on its knees.

I love the webmin way compared to plesk/cpanel I can do server administration the old fashion way through the command line without worrying about anything braking or getting undone by the control panel but I have to say installing those does create a server that is optimized and configured for mass virtual hosting.

Something that bites me about how things are going is that working on a live server with people breathing down my neck when things aren’t working I haven’t really had the time to sit there and document what I had to do to make this or that work right I just googled, tried, googled again, tried again, got things to work but couldn’t really tell you how.

If not all of it can be automated by the install script, should we come up with a series of how-to / config files / snippets… I’m sure virtualmin servers don’t differ that much in terms of configuration, we’re all doing the same thing virtual hosting, many domains each with many emails.
Can we come up with a collections of steps to get all things configured for the best performance / stability / security.

Hey Rick,

Debian and Ubuntu has given me a bit more to chew on than I expected. Everything that you’re running into should be automatic (or very nearly), and on every other system we support, it is. While I like Debian and Ubuntu quite a bit, the failure to include sensible defaults for common services is an area where the platform really falls down, IMHO.

But, we are automating setting up those defaults as we speak. Every new release of install.sh and virtualmin-base adds more to the complete picture, and I believe we’re down to just a couple of outstanding issues.

All of that said, I would be happy to login to your box and correct all of the issues you’re seeing–all of the issues are now understood, I think, so we can fix them quite rapidly and without any down time or hassle for your customers.

I’m not actually sure what you’re seeing in this particular thread…SPF records should be setup by default (you can check by looking at the hosts files in the named directory…I think that’s /etc/bind on Debian).

Scalability…I’d be surprised if you see any performance problems that aren’t caused by spam/AV filtering (which isn’t something we can reduce beyond supporting querying spamd via spamc and using the daemon version of clam, which we do support in recent versions). Postfix is viciously fast right out of the box. But when people bring us real scalability issues we’ll fix them. Let us know when you start seeing performance degradations and we’ll help you work through them.