BIND views

Is there any way how to split named.conf and named.hosts files into views simply in webmin/virtualmin? I need it only for our main domain for now so I can do it manually, but in future I will need this for some of our clients.

Thanks a lot.

You can choose to have Virtualmin add to a specific view per Server Template. Once you add a view (you can do that in the Webmin->Servers->BIND DNS Server module) a new option will appear in the Server Templates->BIND DNS Domain section. The option is labeled "Create new domains in view".

Joe, while we’re on this subject, … last I checked, option statements (like allow-transfer) which are selected for use in the view, and deselected in the zone, were unfortunately redundantly specified in the zone.

When “Default zone settings” in Webmin Bind Zone Defaults was set to “default”, the allow-transfer was replicated, rather than use the view default. Changing the “Default zone settings” to “Listed” and leaving it blank, didn’t help :frowning:

I might have been doing something wrong.

This report is by memory; and should be check. With apologies, I’m not set up to do that presently.j

As a relevant aside, for the bugmeister suggestion box, I found that I missed the formalized terms used in the ARM, which are fairly well documented. For instance, “notify” is translated into “Notify slaves of changes?” and that’s pretty easy to associate; but I’ve no clue what statement you’ve translated into “Check names in responses?” so I don’t know how to look that up in the ARM.

Anyway, webmin and virtualmin are great products doing an outstanding job of the impossible :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your efforts there and here.

When "Default zone settings" in Webmin Bind Zone Defaults was set to "default", the allow-transfer was replicated, rather than use the view default. Changing the "Default zone settings" to "Listed" and leaving it blank, didn't help :(

I might have been doing something wrong.

It sounds a little bit bug-like. It you see it again, it’d probably be worth filing a ticket, so Jamie can chime in (and maybe fix it).

As for your query about specific options, you might find the Webmin wiki useful: http://doxfer.com/Webmin/BINDDNSServer

At the moment, it only have Jamie’s BIND chapter. I’ll see about merging in the one from my book, which included more mappings of Webmin option names to the canonical BIND directive names (likewise in Postfix, Apache, Sendmail, etc.). We’ll be merging the Webmin wiki into the new website within the next few weeks, so I’ll take that opportunity to improve the docs with better reference links.

New URL for the Webmin wiki http://doxfer.webmin.com/Webmin/BIND_DNS_Server