Bind and Vanity Nameservers

I got two VPS running Virtualmin, one in Europe, the other one in the United States. I’d like to use Vanity DNS for some of my domains, eg. NS1.DOMAIN.A points to Domain A (hosted in Europe) and NS2.DOMAIN.A will point to the VPS in the United States. Vice-versa DOMAIN.B would be hosted in the United States and will use the European VPS for NS2.DOMAIN.B.

If I registered own name servers with my registrar, that should point the domains to the two VPS and I would have the required 2 separate IP’s right?

Question: If made a new entry for DOMAIN.A in Virtualmin on the US VPS, it would auto-generate NS1. for that domain on Bind. If I changed this to NS2 and deleted all other DNS entries would that do the trick?

I would of course deactivate all all services Virtualmin automatically creates (e.g. Website, Database, Email) and leave DNS only for the NS2 entries.

Has anyone here done a similar thing so far and would be willing to share some sample configurations?

Howdy,

If I registered own name servers with my registrar, that should point the domains to the two VPS and I would have the required 2 separate IP’s right?

Yup!

Question: If made a new entry for DOMAIN.A in Virtualmin on the US VPS, it would auto-generate NS1. for that domain on Bind. If I changed this to NS2 and deleted all other DNS entries would that do the trick?

Well, I thought I was following what you were saying, but got confused when reading your question here… I’m not entirely certain I understand what you’re asking.

But, I’ll offer that this document here explains how to setup a secondary nameserver:

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/dns/slave-configuration

And, if you already have two Virtualmin servers – you could use that document to make each a slave for the other.

Does that answer your question?

-Eric