Binarylog.000 etc help

SYSTEM INFORMATION

OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 20.04.4
Webmin version 1.990
Virtualmin version 6.17-3

When we installed default install of virtualmin / webmin (where did not no it would create loads and loads of binlog.000 files, so what has happened now we have set it global to expire within couple of days, but how can we get rid of clean up the binary logs which have there since server was installed around 20 days ago as at moment its using: 80GB of the storage.

Hope someone can help me out with this, as client has a big live show going on today and i would not want the site to fall over :frowning:

Thanks
Aaron

Never seen that before and I have a default install of virtualmin. There some info on it if you google the issue. Not sure its a virtualmin issue. Did you install virtualmin using this method Automated Virtualmin Installation – Virtualmin ?
Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes used automated, its on ext4 filesystem not sure why its on that if the document says: XFS :frowning:

Just stuck as the PURGE i do not think works anymore and its not recommended anyhow, and i do not want to delete them and it breaks the system :frowning:

Thanks
Aaron

Just logs aren’t they? This may help or not log - How to Solve Increasing Size of MySQL Binlog Files Problem? - Ask Ubuntu

Steve

Hi Steve,

Had to give the mysql user permissions to do those commands so fixed that.

I purged them, just need to work out why it is increasing as since this morning from 14gb its already on 17gb :frowning:

It seems likely something is misbehaving. Those files should not grow extremely rapidly in the general case.

Are you sure you don’t have some kind of abuse going on? I mean, I guess if it is a very busy site (like millions of visitors doing stuff that causes database updates) it could grow a lot. Otherwise, I assume either an exploited app or a pathologically designed app that’s writing to the database far more than is reasonable.

this is an bug I guess with all Ubuntu 20.04 instances,

all you have to do is specify in mysql conf i.e. /etc/mysql/my.cnf to not use log-bin which MySQL 8.0 uses by default for some reason.

[mysqld]
skip-log-bin

and then reset slave via mysql cli to clear current bin logs.

RESET SLAVE;

Normally binlog maintains a history of MySQL transaction for replication, if your MySQL server is not setup in replication mode, you can safely follow the instructions above.

Thanks will test today, how do i know if i am using replication mode or not?

Replication mode is enabled when you want your database server to highly available,

and you’ll install multiple/single slave servers to replicate your mysql data from your main/master server.

To verify that check your my.cnf file if it have server-id configured

vim /etc/mysql/

if you don’t find server-id uncommented in any cofig files under above directory

or

if you don’t know what it is you’re probably not using MySQL server in replication mode

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.