Backups

Hello,

I have been using VirtualMin backups to backup virtual servers to S3.
How do I add a data and time stamp to the name of the archive file?

I see the check box

Do strftime-style time substitutions on file or directory name. But I don’t see where the file name is described?

Any help?

Thanks

Todd

hmm ok…

I see…

but I am trying to back up to S3 which I didn’t mention. :>)

And when you chose S3 you loose the ability to enter a directory name

Is there a way to make this work using s3

Thanks

Howdy,

Where it says “Do strftime-style time substitutions on file or directory name” – you can actually click that to get a description of what you’re after.

What you can do is add certain codes to the filename or directory name, and Virtualmin will interpolate those into the appropriate numbers.

For example, if you wanted your backups put in /mnt/backups/DATE, you might use:

/mnt/backups/backup-%y-%m-%d/

But the full list of substitution codes is shown once you click the link.

Good luck!
-Eric

Howdy,

Where it says “Do strftime-style time substitutions on file or directory name” – you can actually click that to get a description of what you’re after.

What you can do is add certain codes to the filename or directory name, and Virtualmin will interpolate those into the appropriate numbers.

For example, if you wanted your backups put in /mnt/backups/DATE, you might use:

/mnt/backups/backup-%y-%m-%d/

But the full list of substitution codes is shown once you click the link.

Good luck!
-Eric

what I am doing is:
/backup/domains-%d%m%Y
/backup/configs-%d%m%Y
to differentiate several backups.

Aha!

Amazon S3 is a strange beast. While I haven’t used it, I’m under the impression that it does not support the concept of directories.

Many of the tools I see out there handle this by using a “/” character in the filename and “pretend” that it’s a directory.

I don’t know to what extent Virtualmin supports that way of handling things, but you could always try choosing a filename that contains a “/” and see how that works (of course, test that before relying on it for your backups :slight_smile:

This link here contains some info on that concept:

http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/07/29/how-to-bulletproof-server-backups-with-amazon-s3

Specifically:

"Now that you have your S3 information, youâ

Aha!

Amazon S3 is a strange beast. While I haven’t used it, I’m under the impression that it does not support the concept of directories.

Many of the tools I see out there handle this by using a “/” character in the filename and “pretend” that it’s a directory.

I don’t know to what extent Virtualmin supports that way of handling things, but you could always try choosing a filename that contains a “/” and see how that works (of course, test that before relying on it for your backups :slight_smile:

This link here contains some info on that concept:

http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/07/29/how-to-bulletproof-server-backups-with-amazon-s3

Specifically:

"Now that you have your S3 information, youâ

Buckets which S3 uses are directories except that the only thing you do is use 1 name – eg; domains-%d%m%Y

S3 can’t handle paths per-se so you will have to figure out a way to do that but I don’t think that is possible in VM Pro.