Backup routine moves a info-file within the back-up destination

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Ubuntu 18.04.6
Webmin version: 1.981
Virtualmin version: 6.17.gpl-3

When making a backup, I saw that Virtualmin places a tmp-file on the back-up destination and renames (moves) it thereafter.
Because I want to protect my backups against hacks, I want to prevent delete/change/move-file-events. I can disable these actions, but because of this, Virtualmin returns an error.

It is possible to disable this behaviour and place the file directly at the right location with the right name?

So I would like to prevent this action from happening:

mv /backup/Full-2021-11-13/DOMAINNAME.tar.gz.info.webmintmp.13813 /backup/Full-2021-11-13/DOMAINNAME.tar.gz.info

P.S. the regular backup files were placed correctly, the error occurs at the end of the routine. So I guess it’s a small change in the routine.

I’m willing to pay for this change as it would increase the safety of my back-ups.

@tfhelp,

Virtualmin uses the tmp directory to “compile” a backup which includes a variety of pre-saving steps. This compilation once complete will result in the file being moved to its final destination, but during the compilation of the backup itself it uses the tmp folder. If your system is setup in a secure manner this should not be an issue as this location is used as intended as a “temporary” location.

Hi tpnsolutions,

I’m afraid this is not the tmp-directory but the back-up destination. Of course, I have no problem with movements/changes on the tmp-directory, but in this case there seems to be a change/rename on the destination.
Because I’ve implemented a WORM-policy (write once read many), this isn’t possible and causes errors when I try to use.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.