Backing up over SSH

I cannot initiate a backup over SSH, even with the firewall stopped. /var/webmin/miniserv.error shows a bunch of the following from my IP

Bad Request : This web server is running in SSL mode. Try the URL <a href='https://mydomain.com:10000/'>https://mydomain.com:10000/</a> instead.<br>

and one “Failed to initialize SSL connection”.

ls -fla /tmp/.webmin/ shows

`-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 May 30 18:55 622387_1_backup.cgi

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 30 19:12 .

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 May 30 19:04 811302_1_backup.cgi

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 May 30 18:41 237543_1_backup.cgi

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 May 30 17:33 601584_2_backup.pl

drwxrwxrwt 8 root root 4096 May 30 19:22 …

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 May 30 19:12 798172_1_backup.cgi

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 May 30 17:08 259194_1_backup.cgi`

backing up over FTP works fine. i can auth into the backup server via ssh with certs (the passphrase is automatically entered). but it doesnt matter if I use only the username or i also enter the password in the backup config, i cannot complete an ssh backup.

i dont get an email saying the backup failed. there is nothing in the backup logs relative to the failed backups over SSH.

please advise!

Howdy,

Those “failed to initialize SSL connect” errors are most likely just random bots hitting your server via HTTP – it’s not likely to be related to the backup problems you’re seeing now.

One thing you might try is to run the backup from the command line to see if any new errors show up.

You can get the command line of the backup jobs that are running by logging into your server over SSH as root, and running this command:

crontab -l | grep backup.pl

now i DID get an error msg: “There are currently 6 backups running, and the system-wide limit is 3”. How do I clean them? just shut down each process then delete contents of /tmp/.webmin folder?

They werent listed in cron because they are being run on demand. I got this from the running processes:

# scp -r -P 22 /tmp/.webmin/798172_1_backup.cgi username@x.x.x.x /tmp/virtualmin-copy-test.username /tmp/virtualmin-copy-test.username: No such file or directory

# /usr/bin/ssh -x -oForwardAgent no -oPermitLocalCommand no -oClearAllForwardings yes -p22 -lusername x.x.x.x scp -r -t /tmp/virtualmin-copy-test.username command-line line 0: Missing yes/no argument

is this enough to find out why it isnt working?

any suggestions ?

No help here?