AWS S3 backups failing: The authorization mechanism you have provided is not supported

Hi,

I’m trying to setup a new backup to S3 but it fails with:

The authorization mechanism you have provided is not supported. Please use AWS4-HMAC-SHA256.

It’s the same issue seen here. Is there an update on this or something I can do to get it working? The issue mentions “install and configure the AWS CLI” but is that the solution and if so, how do I do that?

Thanks,

Martin.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Ubuntu Linux 20.04.3
Webmin version: 1.981
Virtualmin version: 6.17-3

I’ve now installed awscli with apt install awscli and configured it with aws configure but I’m still getting the same errors, specifically:

Uploading archive to Amazon's S3 service ..
.. upload failed! Invalid HTTP response : HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

Backup failed! See the progress output above for the reason why.

Deleting backups from Databases/%Y-%m-%d-%H in Amazon S3 bucket [bucket] older than 120 days ..

.. failed to list S3 files : Failed to list S3 files : The authorization mechanism you have provided is not supported. Please use AWS4-HMAC-SHA256.

I can see my buckets in Backup & Restore > Amazon S3 Buckets and I can upload a file from the CLI but Virtualmin Backup isn’t having it.

What am I doing wrong? Can anybody help?

Thanks,
Martin.

Hello

I am also facing this isue on ubuntu server 20.04 using Webmin version 1.981 Virtualmin 6.17-3. It is a fresh install. I have tried installing aws-cli using apt, using amazon’s instructions and using pip. The server does not seem to want to use aws cli for the backups, it uses the perl module?!? any help with this would be appreciated.

Thank you

Have the same issue in S3 Backup Failing

awscli is installed and works.

Just to keep this going, I’ve got the same issue trying to restore backups on an old server that has been running and restoring S3 backups plenty of times before. My new server seems to be having the issue as will only back up to Ireland, not the S3 bucket locations, which I guess is fine, but old server that uses UK S3 bucket can’t seem to restore from the Ireland bucket!

Restore failed : The specified source is not a Virtualmin backup : Failed to list S3 bucket : Failed to list S3 files : The authorization mechanism you have provided is not supported. Please use AWS4-HMAC-SHA256.strong text

As per S3 Backup Failing - #10 by martbean, @jamest 's solution worked for me. In short, the secret access key was wrong in /root/.aws/credentials for some reason. Having corrected it, everything works fine.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.