Automatic or recurring payments - Webmin / Virtualmin / Cloudmin

I sent Stripe a specific request for them to study the possibility of developing an integration.
I informed that it was an intermediary requesting the possibility of developing a module to be integrated into the https://virtualmin.com (webmin - virtualmin - cloudmin) in order to receive payments from users.
If you accept I will inform you of a means of contact with you.

Iā€™ve already received the first response from STRIPE by email, find the easiest way to send it to you. Thank you.

Whilst I disagree with basically everything you just said, what do you suggest then for these guys to do to make some money out of this.

Frankly I personally just would not care what non paying people had to say. Also Cpanel is doing just fine thanks, just because your not happy with them doesnā€™t meant they are financially sound.

I need an incentive to go ā€œProā€ (because I canā€™t find one). The move to ā€œProā€ is very expensive for what? (I can set up 100ā€™s of GPL versions (if I had the time or inclination)

But isnā€™t that the whole point? If the folk who build this are going to add something significant (like integration with some 3rd party accountancy thing) then it has to bring in revenue to their benefit. AND it has to be of significant benefit to the users. Many of whom probably already have their own accounting solutions.

Hmm to support virtualmin i have a pro licence but i donā€™t use it for the reason with all the sub servers off 1 domain i can not effectively host 1 web site the sub servers are all x.domain.com but i guess i could do all the donkey work through webmin to to produce the subs via the relevent module i.e apache2 or nginx however i donā€™t have the time to do that so pay for pro to support the project and use gpl

We have a Control Panel with many features and that favors us a lot.
There are other free ones with fewer features and functionality.
I believe that we should properly remunerate those who dedicate themselves to the development and adjustments of each stage, because there are several systems involved.
If we have the best it is only fair that we pay for it.
I advocate an extended trial version with 60 days and that the GPL version has only one (1) installation and no sub-domains.
What lies ahead in terms of the economy and finances of the countries will flatten our purchasing power.
Then everyone will have to help each other.

Well, we discussed it with @Joe and @Jamie internally in the past, and came to the conclusion that taking away features that users currently have can have a negative impact.

1 Like

Really? Its probably the cheapest control panels out there. Check WHM pricing.

compare, alot cheaper
https://www.virtualmin.com/shop/

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t need to remove from those who already use it in a moderate, not exaggerated, way.
For new users a new way to join the system.
Attention: do you have statistics on how much free users cost you in terms of time? And how could this remaining time be used for improvements to the platform?
What free platforms offer all these tools?

Allow up to eg 10 domains for free, anything above that isnā€™t a hobby so should pay.

2 Likes

Nothing is cheaper than GPL. which is what we are comparing here.
I cannot dispute ā€œProā€ is cheap compared to cPanel and others but Pro compared to GPL involves preparing a budget justification, along with all the other IT overhead (costing, comparison, internal politics, procedural documentation, etc) just as it would with cPanel et al. But the Virtualmin GPL just takes time - and not that much of that either (because they have already done 99% of the work) So it is a no brainer.

As it has been said, would a 3rd party add on accounting software make it more appealing or more users convert to the ā€œProā€ version (and bring more revenue into the pockets of the staff). My view is that it will not. Something else perhaps. But in my case not. The organisation Iā€™m employed by already has accountants and software to do such things.

Yep I was just pointing out Pro is cheap in comparison. Iā€™ve been GPL until recently and donā€™t really need pro, just went that way as support for the Virtualmin team.

3 Likes

I think most users donā€™t encompass idea of open source software in the intended way.

Richard Stallman mentioned in the past that in order to understand the concept of OSS, you should think of ā€œfreeā€ as in ā€œfree speech,ā€ not as in ā€œfree beerā€.

Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, ā€œfree softwareā€ is a matter of liberty, not price.

Allow up to eg 10 domains for free, anything above that isnā€™t a hobby so should pay.

I wouldnā€™t disagree! @Joe and @Jamie, we should think over it againā€¦

2 Likes

You are very generous :slight_smile: 5 domains are more than sufficient.
Even as a hobbyist myself I pay for Virtualmin Pro 10 Domains on a VPS that only host 3 domains.

Itā€™s the right thing to do folksā€¦

In my opinion, I think the GPL should be locked down to 5 domains and only have the necessary updates for security to support the software/applications when applicable.

Any more GUI and enhanced updates should be routed to only Pro version.

I would be interested in how. In particular how to stop an individual/organisation using multiple copies of a GPL (even if you could fix one copy at 5 domains).
Of course this topic is not about the problems of GPL vs Pro but about whether adding some ā€œnew/Me2ā€ accountancy software is worth the effort.

They can start with Virtualmin 8 GPL only 5 Domains. Then you can still have your Virtualmin 7 GPL with unlimitedā€¦

Or make Virtualmin 8 only Proā€¦

The discussion adds towards the topic by help creating ways to invest new additions to Virtualmin.

The branching that has emerged here is very productive and can set the course of the system.
Payments made automatically or on a recurring basis would be generated for all users, but it does not prevent GPL/PRO usage guidance from being discussed, as it would be the source of funds for all expanding activities.

We will absolutely not restrict the domain count in the GPL version, that is not up for discussion. We will never put previously open features behind a paywall.

6 Likes

You need an incentive ?? your kidding right, explain to me just how your incentive puts food on the developers table, sure you can install 100ā€™s of gpl now, but once that is no longer available I guess your incentive will be if you want to keep using VM you will be paying $2 a month if you want to keep using it, or your free to go elsewhere and pay them.

At the end of the day if everyone had your attitude of $2 is too expensive then VM would no longer exist ā€¦ guess there is another incentive for you to think about.

When your ready to work for free let me know will you I have a few things you can do for me.

I agree you guys need to open your eyes here stop being stupid