Apache won't start on live sever via virtualmin

hi
i was playing around with the remote API, (not the first time) and deleted a domain that i created.

after the process had completed i tried another command and my page just wouldnt load. i tested another 2 sites i have on the server and they failed to load.

i logged into the virtualmin interface and it said apache wasnt running. so i clicked the start button.
i got this error
Failed to start service :
:
/etc/lsb-base-logging.sh: line 22: /dev/console: Operation not permitted

• Starting web server apache2
    [Tue Aug 04 12:02:27 2009] [error] (EAI 9)Address family for hostname not supported: Could not resolve host name ::1 – ignoring!
    [Tue Aug 04 12:02:27 2009] [warn] NameVirtualHost 208.110.69.206:443 has no VirtualHosts
    …done.

i tried restarting it from the command line and i got this:
root@vps12:/# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

• Restarting web server apache2 [Tue Aug 04 12:08:42 2009] [error] (EAI 9)Address family for hostname not supported: Could not resolve host name ::1 – ignoring!
    [Tue Aug 04 12:08:42 2009] [warn] NameVirtualHost 208.110.69.206:443 has no VirtualHosts
    httpd (no pid file) not running
    [Tue Aug 04 12:08:52 2009] [error] (EAI 9)Address family for hostname not supported: Could not resolve host name ::1 – ignoring!
    [Tue Aug 04 12:08:52 2009] [warn] NameVirtualHost 208.110.69.206:443 has no VirtualHosts
    [ OK ]
    root@vps12:/#

after saying “httpd (no pid file) not running” it hung for a minute and then it seemed to start.

i think there maybe something wrong.

So, does it seem to be working at this point?

That is, does Apache serve web requests?

I don’t see any errors in the second attempt you had in starting it… but the error you got the first time around is pretty odd!

Is SELinux possibly enabled on your server?

I’d also be curious if restarting Virtualmin helps that as well.

-Eric

i wouldnt know how to tell you if SELinux was enabled.

The webserver started accepting requests after restarting it via the command line (second time).

i believe this wasn’t the most recent version of virtualmin (as i had upgrades listed of installation)

thanks

Ashley

We spoke about this on IRC – it doesn’t appear to be SELinux.

While I don’t know the cause of the errors above, we are seeing some messages suggesting Apache may not be fully finished shutting down before it tries to launch it again, which would cause trouble.

-Eric