Apache 404 not found instead of it works

i have virtual min (GPL) installed on my server and the problem am facing is that i get a ‘404 not found’ message on all of my domains. However, when i create a v-host and place an index.html page, all of my domains (5) show the page such that when am installing drupal, all of my domains show the drupal site. I am not using the virtualmin dns but the one provided by my hosting company.

there is no default (it works) index.html file in /var/www and i have tried adding one but still i get the 404 not found message.

Any ideas what the problem might be.

Howdy,

How did you perform the Virtualmin installation, did you use the install.sh script?

Also, are you behind a NAT router?

By default, Virtualmin would be creating your accounts in /home/USERNAME/ – are you placing your website in /home/USERNAME/public_html?

-Eric

Hi,

yes i used the install.sh script. I was using open panel prior to virtualmin and had removed it as well as apache.

I am not sure but i should think so.

Yes, when i place the files in /home/USERNAME/public_html all my domains display the content in the files.

• Jas

Uh-oh, you installed Virtualmin on a system that had another control panel on it before? Bad idea. :slight_smile:

You will spare yourself a LOT of trouble if you reinstall the OS of your server (after making appropriate backups of course), and use the installer script on a fresh system with ONLY the SSH packages installed.